Blast at US Embassy in Ankara
Turkish Interior Minister Muammer Guler on Friday said that the security officer who lost his life in today’s blast at the US Embassy in Ankara was Mustafa Akarsu, born in 1966.
Having arrived at the US Embassy to observe the site of the blast, Guler indicated that a person, they believed to be a suicide bomber, detonated the bomb at Gate no. 2 at the US Embassy at about 13.14 hours.
"Security officer Mustafa Akarsu and the suicide bomber died at the scene of the blast while a Turkish woman, Didem Tuncay (born in 1974) was seriously wounded," Guler stressed.
We are now trying to find out who the suicide bomber was, Guler noted.
Asked about the suicide bomber, Guler said that the bomber was a male.
Didem Tuncay was a journalist until recently working in Ankara.
Security tightened at surrounding embassies.
Security has been tightened at surrounding embassies after a blast took place at the US Embassy in Ankara on Friday.
A part of the Paris Avenue where the US Embassy is located has been shut down to traffic.
Security measures have been taken especially at the German and French embassies following today’s blast.
Dozens of Turkish police officers have been sent to the area.
A police helicopter is flying over the area where the blast took place.
Turkish FM Davutoglu speaks with US Ambassador Ricciardone
Turkish Foreign Minister Ahmet Davutoglu on Friday held a phone conversation with the US Ambassador in Ankara Francis Ricciardone following a blast at the US Embassy earlier in the day.
Diplomatic sources told the Anadolu Agency (AA) that Davutoglu, currently on a visit to Serbia, phoned Ricciardone and expressed his sadness over Friday’s blast at the US Embassy which killed two people and wounded many others.
Davutoglu told Ricciardone that Turkish security forces would make every effort to unravel the details of the incident.
US Embassy releases message following the blast
The US Embassy in Ankara thanked the Turkish government, media and the whole Turkish people for the solidarity displayed with the US Embassy and their show of anger following Friday’s blast at the US Embassy.
In a statement released following Friday’s blast, the US Embassy stated that a blast took place at their embassy on Friday at about 13.15 hours.
"Turkish security forces have taken all measures following today’s blast," the US Embassy also said.
Such incidents increase our determination until the problem is solved, said US Ambassador in Ankara
US Ambassador in Ankara, Francis Ricciardone on Friday thanked the Turkish government, Ankara Governor Alaaddin Yuksel and Chief of Ankara Police Kadir Ay for their support to the US Embassy following a blast earlier in the day which killed two people and wounded several others.
Speaking to the press on Friday, Ambassador Ricciardone stressed that such incidents increased their determination until the problem got solved and would lead to further cooperation with Turkey.
"We will continue to fight against terror together (with Turkey). Today’s incident clearly showed that our two countries have been hurt by terrorism. Such incidents increase our determination and strengthen our cooperation," Ricciardone stated.
Meanwhile, the Undersecretary of the Turkish Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MFA) Feridun Sinirlioglu arrived at the US Embassy in Ankara following Friday’s blast.
Friday, February 01, 2013