Fenerbahce slam UEFA for the ban
Thursday, June 27, 2013
ISTANBUL - Fenerbahce`s Chairman Aziz Yildirim slammed UEFA for the three-year ban.
Yildirim criticized UEFA decision regarding 3 years ban for the Turkish team, Fenerbahce in a press meeting in Istanbul.
Believing that the ban will be revoked by Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS), Yildirim said, this case was the most unluckiest case and it would put UEFA into difficult position.
Due to this decision, "UEFA might even collapse," said Yildirim.
Yildirim added, there could not be match-fixing like this and it was not a match-fixing case but an operation against Fenerbahce.
Yildirim also said, they will announce Fenerbahce`s new coach on Friday.
The Yellow Canaries have been handed a three year ban from European competitions by the UEFA.
The administrative body for European football announced its decision on Tuesday concerning sanctions on two Turkish clubs, Fenerbahce and Besiktas, on charges of match-fixing during the 2010-2011 season.
The decision is subject to appeal at UEFA Appeals Body and further at internationally recognized Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS).
Both teams said they would appeal.
Fenerbahce`s effective ban currently stands at two years, but if sanctioned again by the UEFA during the next five years, the club will receive an additional one-year ban.
UEFA said in its decision that the case for the individuals from both clubs charged for match-fixing would be considered in light of further information.
Fenerbahce`s Chairman Aziz Yildirim, as well as two executive board members, were suspended Tuesday after an Istanbul court decided it needs time to ascertain their status as club members following the match-fixing charges they were convicted of last year.
Copyright © 2013 Anadolu Agency