Turkey refutes claims on Israeli compensation for Gaza flotilla victims
Monday, December 23, 2013
ANKARA - Turkey has confirmed to have held talks with Israeli authorities early in December in Istanbul on Israeli compensation for Gaza flotilla victims killed in 2010 but refuted claims that Turkey was being more flexible over the compensation and offered to accept a lower figure than it had demanded in the past, diplomatic sources said.
Mavi Marmara, a ship in Gaza-bound aid flotilla,was carrying humanitarian aid and construction materials in May 2010 when Israeli soldiers boarded the ships from speedboats and helicopters to attack, and killed nine Turks aboard, which worsened the relations between Turkey and Israel.
Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan and his Israeli counterpart Benjamin Netanyahu spoke by phone in March and Netanyahu apologized to the Turkish people voicing regret for loss of life in Mavi Marmara incident to solve a three year-old deadlock in relations.
Since then there have been several rounds of talks. Turkey`s offering to resume talks earlier this month does not reflect the truth, diplomatic sources said adding " Talks have been launched by both sides."
Copyright © 2013 Anadolu Agency