Egypt's Health Ministry confirms 44 swine flu deaths since December

Thursday, February 13, 2014

Health Minister Maha al-Rabat told a press conference in Cairo on Wednesday evening that 342 cases have been diagnosed with the H1N1 virus since December.

Health Minister Maha al-Rabat told a press conference in Cairo on Wednesday evening that 342 cases have been diagnosed with the H1N1 virus since December.

CAIRO - Egypt's Health Ministry has confirmed that at least 44 people has died of swine flu since December.

Health Minister Maha al-Rabat told a press conference in Cairo on Wednesday evening that 342 cases have been diagnosed with the H1N1 virus during the same period.

The minister said that the number of cases was no different from past flu seasons, which starts in October till March. However, she said, the symptoms of this season's cases have been more severe.

Last week, the ministry said that the number of swine flu cases registered in the country since December had hit 195, of which 24 had since died.

The H1N1 virus, also called swine flu, is a respiratory disease caused by influenza that broke out in 2009 and was first observed in Mexico.

Copyright © 2014 Anadolu Agency