Two killed as NATO trucks attacked near Pakistan-Afghan border

ISLAMABAD - Two people were killed and one injured after gunmen attacked a NATO convoy carrying supplies for foreign troops in Pakistan, some 20 kilometers from the Afghan border on Tuesday, local officials have reported.

“Four containers carrying supplies for NATO troops were on their way to Torkham border crossing to enter Afghanistan, when four gunmen riding motorbikes attacked the convoy near Jamrud town”, said Shahab Ali Shah, a Khyber regional administrative officer, told reporters.

“The attackers opened indiscriminate fire at containers, killing two crew members and injuring a driver”, Shah added.

The supply route for NATO through Torkham was only reopened last week following a 96-day closure as activists from the Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf party had been blockading the road in protest at controversial drone strikes in the Waziristan region.

No group has so far claimed the responsibility for Tuesday’s attack but Taliban militants, who have been attacking NATO convoys for the last decade, are suspected of being responsible.

NATO currently uses two Pakistani supply routes to transport 70 to 80 per cent of its supplies into landlocked Afghanistan: Torkham in the north and Chaman border crossing in the south-west.

Reporting by Aamir Latif

Copyright © 2014 Anadolu Agency