Big step on Northern Cyprus potable water supply project

Turkey close to finishing the long-awaited project that will supply water to the Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus

Turkey close to finishing the long-awaited project that will supply water to the Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus

ANKARA - Two more barrages, types of dams, are complete in the south of Turkey as the long-awaited potable water supply to the Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus is about to finish.

According to a statement made by the Ministry of Forestry and Water Affairs` Directorate General of State Hydraulic Works, the `Alakopru` and `Gecitkoy` barrage construction was completed for the `Northern Cyprus Water Supply Project`, which will provide the Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus with water for the next 50 years.

The investment cost of the barrages are close to 80 million Turkish Liras ($36,6 million) and the project will supply around 130 million cubic meters of water to the Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus every year.

A pipeline of 22 km length will carry 75 million m3 of water Alakopru Dam to Anamurium Pumping Station, which connects to under sea pipeline in 1 km distance. Of the 75 million cubic meters water, 37.76 million cubic meters (50.3%) will be used for drinking purposes and the remaining part (49.7%) will be allocated for irrigation.

Copyright © 2014 Anadolu Agency