Libya bans sacked PM from travel

By Mohamed al-Nagem, Tuesday, March 11, 2014

TRIPOLI – Libya`s Prosecutor-General on Tuesday banned sacked Prime Minister Ali Zeidan from travelling abroad amid reports that the Premier had already left the country.

"The Prosecutor-General has issued an arrest warrant against Zeidan," al-Seddiq al-Soul, the head of investigation unit at the Prosecutor-General`s office, told Anadolu Agency.

He said that Zeidan has been summoned by the Prosecutor-General for questioning into alleged corruption charges.

However, sources at Tripoli airport said that the sacked Premier had already left the country.

The claim has not been verified by official sources.

Earlier Tuesday, Libya`s interim parliament voted Tuesday to withdraw confidence from Zeidan`s government.

Defense Minister Abdullah al-Thinni was sworn in by the parliament as a caretaker Prime Minister until a new government is formed.

Libya has remained in political crisis since the country`s interim parliament voted in December to extend its mandate by one year, extending the transitional period that followed the ouster of strongman Muammar Gaddafi in late 2011.

The revised timetable has angered many Libyans, who have since taken to the streets to protest the decision and demand early elections.

Copyright © 2014 Anadolu Agency