Gaza won't be silent on closure 'crime': Hamas
By Mustafa Haboosh, Wednesday, March 19, 2014
GAZA CITY – Palestinian resistance movement Hamas said Wednesday that the Palestinians in the Gaza Strip will not remain silent about what it called the Egyptian "crime" closing the Rafah crossing with the Palestinian territory.
"If Arab League chief Nabil al-Arabi and the secretary general of the Organization of Islamic Cooperation were silent about the closure, the Palestinian people will not fall silent," Hamas spokesman Fawzi Barhoom wrote on his Facebook page.
He described as a "crime" the Egyptian closure of the border crossing – which became Gaza's only window to the outside world since Israel closes all other crossings with the Palestinian enclave.
Egypt has tightened its grip on the border crossing for months now since the ouster of elected president Mohamed Morsi in July last year.
The Egyptian closure of the border terminal has continued for 40 days now, according to the Ministry of the Interior in Gaza.
The director of Gaza's crossings and border authority Maher Abu Sabha told Anadolu Agency on Tuesday that Egypt had already totally suspended its contacts with his authority.
Barhoom described the closure of the border crossing and the blockade on Gaza as a "crime against humanity" committed by both Egypt and Israel, which has slapped a crippling siege on the Gaza Strip since 2006.
Copyright © 2014 Anadolu Agency