2 killed in Benghazi landmine explosion

BENGHAZI, Libya – Two people were killed and a third was seriously injured in a landmine explosion in the eastern Libyan city of Benghazi.

The explosion took place when the three men were collecting wastes from al-Sarir region, Mustafa al-Ojli, deputy chairman of the municipal council of the southeastern city of Kufra, told Anadolu Agency.

Al-Ojli said the three victims worked as volunteers for an organization that clears the area from landmines.

Last month, Al-Sarir region had been rocked by tribal clashes that left several people dead and injured several others.

Al-Ojli said that some bombs did not explode at the time of the clashes, but went off on Saturday as the three people tried to clear the area.

Copyright © 2014 Anadolu Agency