Football: Barcelona 'withdraw Ilkay Gundogan bid'
Saturday, March 29, 2014
MADRID - Barcelona, one of the leading teams in Spain's La Liga football league, has reportedly withdrawn its transfer bid for Borussia Dortmund's Ilkay Gundogan.
El Mundo Deportivo, one of Spain's most popular newspapers, said that Barcelona had pulled its bid for the German team's central midfielder amid concerns over his spinal injury, which it is feared could remain a very serious problem for his future.
Having struggled with the injury he incurred this season, 23-year-old Gundogan had been considered the most suitable player to replace Barca's 34-year-old Spanish playmaker, Xavi Hernandez.
The newspaper also said Barca could be interested in him if his health improves.
The Catalan club's Director of football, Andoni Zubizaretta, said that it was too risky to buy a player whose future was uncertain.
Gundogan could also miss the 2014 FIFA World Cup, the newspaper reported.
One of Germany's regulars, Gundogan helped Borussia Dortmund against Bayern Munich in the UEFA Champions League Final in the 2012-13 season, which Bayern won 2-1.
Copyright © 2014 Anadolu Agency