Kuwait deplores U.S. 'terror accusations'
By Ahmed al-Masri, Monday, March 31, 2014
KUWAIT CITY – Kuwait has decried recent U.S. accusations against Justice Minister Nayef Al-Ajmi of supporting "terrorism".
In a Monday statement, the Kuwaiti cabinet renewed confidence in Al-Ajmi, who was accused by US Undersecretary of Treasury David Cohen of supporting "terrorist groups" in Syria.
During a meeting on Monday, the minister told the cabinet that the accusations were "baseless and groundless".
Al-Ajmi argued that all his activities and efforts are part of Kuwait's well-recognized official and popular efforts in charitable, religious and humanitarian realms.
The Kuwait cabinet, meanwhile, underlined rejection of all forms of terrorism and renewed support for efforts aimed at fighting terrorism.
Earlier this month, Cohen accused Al Ajmi of being a financier of terrorist groups in Syria.
"Kuwait has become the epicenter of fundraising for terrorist groups in Syria,” Cohen said.
"There have been some encouraging conversations recently, but the appointment of Nayef al-Ajmi to be both Minister of Justice and Minister of Islamic Endowments (Awqaf) and Islamic Affairs is a step in the wrong direction. Al-Ajmi has a history of promoting jihad in Syria," he said.
Copyright © 2014 Anadolu Agency