Memorial tent set up for 79 PKK militants killed
Thursday, April 10, 2014
DIYARBAKIR - The pro-Kurdish Peace and Democracy Party opened a tent Thursday in the southeastern Turkish province of Diyarbakir for condolences for 79 separatist militants whose remains have recently been identified.
The militants were killed in various armed clashes with Turkish security forces in southeastern Turkey. They belonged to the Kurdistan Workers' Party, commonly referred to by its Kurdish acronym, PKK.
Thirteen mass graves were found in Bingol province and were opened by Turkish authorities last week. According to a report by the humanitarian foundation IHH, 133 PKK militants's bodies were disinterred and only 79 of them have been identified.
Newly elected Diyarbakir co-Mayor Gultan Kisanak and BDP provincial chairman Zubeyde Zumrut visited the tent to offer condolences to the militants' relatives.
Speaking after the memorial service for the militants, Zumrut said the tent had been opened for the militants who had been unearthed in a mass-grave in eastern province of Bingol and recently identified.
He blamed the killings, which took place in the 1990s on mistaken policies by the government.
"The conflict at that time had a place neither in conformity with humanity nor with Islam," Zumrut said. "The purpose of these kinds of activities is to remember the state policies of that time and to keep them on the Turkish agenda."
The tent will reportedly remain open for three days.
Copyright © 2014 Anadolu Agency