Afghanistan floods death toll rises to 127

Sunday, April 27, 2014

Flash floods devastate four provinces in northern Afghanistan

Flash floods devastate four provinces in northern Afghanistan

MAZAR-I-SHARIF, Afghanistan – At least 127 people died and hundreds of villagers were displaced after flash floods ravaged northern Afghanistan, disaster authorities said Sunday.

The deputy governor of Afghanistan’s northern Jowzjan province told Anadolu Agency that as a result of the flood at least 66 people had died, 36 are missing and another 15,000 had been displaced.

Initial reports indicate that Jowzjan is the worst affected province in the region.

Sar-e Pol Governor Abduljabbar Hakhbin said the death toll in the province rose to 20, and 30 others were reported missing.

The governor of the Faryab province, Mohammadollah Betash, said 33 people had died there, more than 8,000 people had been displaced and many were reported missing.

The number of dead in the Baghdis reached eight, according to Hamidollah Mobariz Hamidi, a disaster authority.

Heavy rainfall has also caused widespread damage to homes and agriculture since late Thursday. 

The affected Afghan populations are in need of clean drinking water, medical supplies, food, and emergency shelter, the U.N. humanitarian affairs agency said.

Copyright © 2014 Anadolu Agency