5 soldiers killed in S. Yemen clashes with al-Qaeda
By Fouad Mosaad, Tuesday, April 29, 2014
SANAA – Five Yemeni soldiers were killed in clashes between army troops and suspected Al-Qaeda militants in the country's restive south, military sources and eyewitnesses said Tuesday.
Eyewitnesses told Anadolu Agency that three soldiers were killed in Shabwah province during continued clashes with Al-Qaeda militants.
The clashes, which took place in Mafraq al-Said district, also left casualties on the militants' side, according to the witnesses.
Earlier on Tuesday, two soldiers were killed in clashes with Al-Qaeda militants in the adjacent Abyan province, a military source said.
Suspected Al-Qaeda militants remain active in several parts of southern Yemen, from where they continue to stage sporadic attacks on army and police targets.
The past week saw stepped up clashes between militants and military forces in the south in which dozens of casualties fell from both sides.
Yemen has been dogged by turmoil since pro-democracy protests in 2011 forced autocratic president Ali Abdullah Saleh to step down after 33 years in office.
In the three years since, authorities have struggled to restore law and order.
Copyright © 2014 Anadolu Agency