Afghanistan landslide kills 400; more deaths feared

A provincial police chief from Badakhshan confirms death of 400 people including women and children

A provincial police chief from Badakhshan confirms death of 400 people including women and children

KABUL – More than 400 people have been killed in a massive landslide in the northern Afghan province of Badakhshan on Friday, officials said.

Fazludin Ayar, a provincial police chief, has confirmed the death of 400 people including women and children.

"A village that has about 215 houses is completely buried under mud and rocks," he said.

He said around 300 families, who were in danger of another landslide, had been evacuated to safer areas.

Shah Waliullah Adib, governor of the Badakhshan province, told an Anadolu Agency correspondent that more than 700 people were feared death in the landslide.

He said the landslide occurred in the mountainous Argoy district after heavy rainfalls on Friday afternoon.

"No rescue teams have arrived at the scene yet," he said, adding that residents of the nearby villages turned up for help.

In a statement released from his office, Afghan president Hamid Karzai said he was deeply saddened after hearing the news of the landslide.

Copyright © 2014 Anadolu Agency