Nigerian parents 'recognized' abducted girls: Governor

The families of a number of abducted Nigerian schoolgirls have recognized some of them from a video released by the militant Boko Haram group.

The families of a number of abducted Nigerian schoolgirls have recognized some of them from a video released by the militant Boko Haram group.

LAGOS – The families of a number of abducted Nigerian schoolgirls have recognized some of them from a video released by the militant Boko Haram group.

"Right now, 77 names have been established from the video," Borno government spokesman Isa Gusau said in a statement on Tuesday.

On Monday, Boko Haram released a video showing scores of girls kidnapped last month from their boarding school in Borno State.

In the footage, militant leader Abubakar Shekau offers to exchange the abducted girls for Boko Haram militants held by Nigerian authorities.

The abductions have triggered global outrage, with several countries joining Nigerian efforts to rescue the kidnapped girls.

A number of protesters visited the office on Borno State Governor Kashim Shettima to protest what they described as "insufficient" efforts to rescue the girls.

"Leadership calls for restraint. Believe me, if I should speak, heads will roll," Shettima said in response to protesters' accusations that too little had been done to rescue the girls.

"Nobody has sought my input [as to] how to rescue the girls or negotiate," he added.

Boko Haram, which means "Western education is forbidden" in Nigeria's local Hausa language, first emerged in the early 2000s preaching against government misrule and corruption.

The group later became violent, however, after the death of its leader in 2009 while in police custody.

In the five years since, the shadowy sect has been blamed for numerous attacks – on places of worship and government institutions – and thousands of deaths.

Copyright © 2014 Anadolu Agency