2 Qaeda militants killed in south: Yemen army

 Two suspected Al-Qaeda militants were killed in ongoing clashes in Yemen's southern Shabwah province

Two suspected Al-Qaeda militants were killed in ongoing clashes in Yemen's southern Shabwah province

SANAA – Two suspected Al-Qaeda militants were killed in ongoing clashes in Yemen's southern Shabwah province, the army announced Tuesday in an online statement.

One of the slain militants, Said Bawzir, succumbed to injuries sustained while fighting government troops two days ago, the army statement read.

The army did not, however, provide details regarding the incident in which the two militants were killed.

Earlier this week, the Yemeni army announced that "hundreds" of Al-Qaeda militants had been killed and injured in an operation waged by government forces since late April in the southern Shabwah and Abyan provinces.

The army said its forces were able to destroy a number of Al-Qaeda hideouts and seize "large amounts" of weapons and explosive-making materials during the operation.

Yemen recently launched an offensive against suspected Al-Qaeda elements in the country's south, where the group continues to stage sporadic attacks on army and police targets.

The past week has seen stepped-up fighting in the south between militants and army troops in which dozens have been killed.

Yemen has been dogged by turmoil since pro-democracy protests in 2011 forced autocratic president Ali Abdullah Saleh to step down after 33 years in power.

In the three years since, authorities have struggled to restore law and order.

Copyright © 2014 Anadolu Agency