US condemns recent Nigeria bombings

“These vicious attacks on defenseless Nigerian civilians and Boko Haram’s abduction last month of more than 200 girls in Chibok are unconscionable.”

“These vicious attacks on defenseless Nigerian civilians and Boko Haram’s abduction last month of more than 200 girls in Chibok are unconscionable.”

WASHINGTON, D.C. – The Obama administration on Wednesday condemned a series of bombings in Nigeria, calling them “vicious attacks.” 

Over 100 people were killed in a twin bombing at a bus station and market in the central Nigerian city of Jos on Tuesday. Those attacks came just two days after a suicide bomber detonated a car bomb in the northern city of Kano, killing at least four.

No group has yet claimed responsibility for the attacks.

“These vicious attacks on defenseless Nigerian civilians and Boko Haram’s abduction last month of more than 200 girls in Chibok are unconscionable, terrorist acts demanding accountability and justice,” said Jen Psaki, the State Department spokeswoman in a statement released to the press.

Nigeria has been wracked by a series of violent attacks and abductions, including the kidnapping of an estimated 276 schoolgirls from the Government Girls Secondary School in the town of Chibok in Borno State over a month ago. Boko Haram, an extremist Islamist group, claimed responsibility for the abduction.  

The U.S. government will continue to stand with the Nigerian government and people “in their efforts to defeat violent extremism in a manner that protects civilians and ensures respect for human rights,” said Psaki.

Nigerian President Goodluck Jonathan accepted a U.S. offer of assistance to support Nigeria’s rescue effort of the abducted schoolgirls two weeks ago. The U.S. has since sent an interagency team to Nigeria from the military and law enforcement, and bolstered surveillance efforts with drones and manned aircraft.

Copyright © 2014 Anadolu Agency