New Libyan PM unfazed by rocket attack on home
By Hagar al-Dosoki, Tuesday, May 27, 2014
TRIPOLI – Newly-appointed Libyan Prime Minister Ahmed Maiteeq said a rocket attack on his home earlier on Tuesday would not hinder him from performing his duties.
"This attack on my home left me more determined," Maiteeq told Anadolu Agency on Tuesday. "We realize Libya is going through a critical phase and will continue to uphold the peaceful rotation of power."
Two militants, who reportedly attacked Maiteeq's home in the early hours of Tuesday with a rocket-propelled grenade (RPG), have been seized and are currently receiving treatment for injuries, a Maiteeq aide said earlier.
"One of them is in critical condition," Maiteeq said of the attackers, adding: "All we want is for Libya to stabilize."
The attack came hours after Maiteeq's government was sworn in Monday evening before the General National Congress, Libya's elected interim parliament.
Fears of a possible Libyan civil war have mounted over the past two weeks, since forces loyal to renegade army general Khalifa Haftar declared war on a group of militias – some of which have been absorbed into the army – in the eastern city of Benghazi.
The government in Tripoli, for its part, has described Haftar's move as an attempted "coup."
Libyan authorities have struggled to restore law and order since the ouster and death of strongman Muammar Gaddafi in 2011 amid the continued refusal of armed militias – which had helped overthrow Gaddafi – to give up their weapons.
Copyright © 2014 Anadolu Agency