20 Iraqis killed, 110 injured in Saladin attacks
By Aref Youssef, Monday, June 09, 2014
BAGHDAD – At least 20 people were killed and 110 injured in two suicide bombings that targeted a checkpoint in Tuz Khormato in Iraq's northern Saladin province, medical and security sources have said.
The first blast was caused by a truck driven by a suicide bomber, a security source said, adding that the second explosion had been caused by a booby-trapped car.
A security source speaking on condition of anonymity said that a third suicide bomber had tried to blow himself up near first-aid responders from a local hospital who had converged at the blast site, but that police had managed to apprehend him before he could detonate his explosive device.
A Tuz Khormato official, meanwhile, described the twin blasts as merely the latest in a long series of attacks targeting Turkmen in the Saladin province, which he said constituted "a massacre."
There was no immediate claim of responsibility for the two latest bombings.
Tuz Khormato remains the scene of frequent attacks and car bombings for which the authorities typically blame Al-Qaeda-affiliated groups.
Copyright © 2014 Anadolu Agency