Clashes reignite near Jerusalem over slain Palestinian
By Turgut Alp Boyraz, Thursday, July 03, 2014
JERUSALEM – Clashes flared up again Thursday between Palestinian youths and Israeli troops in the Shuafat district near Jerusalem following the abduction and killing of a local Palestinian teen by suspected Jewish settlers one day earlier.
An Anadolu Agency correspondent at the scene said that clashes had re-erupted just a few hundred meters away from the home of slain teen Mohamed Hussein Abu Khdeer, with the Israeli troops using stun grenades, rubber bullets and teargas against Palestinians throwing stones and Molotov cocktails.
No casualties have yet been reported.
The outbreak of violence followed a brief state of calm in the area, after a day of clashes between the two sides after news emerged about the recovery of the body.
Israeli helicopters keep flying all over the neighborhood to monitor the area, in which all shops and businesses are closed as part of a strike in East Jerusalem to protest the boy's murder.
On Wednesday, Abu Khdeer's charred body was found in a forest near Jerusalem in a suspected "revenge" attack by Jewish settlers for the recent killing of three Israeli teenagers who went missing from a West Bank settlement.
Footage taken from a security camera near Abu Khdeer's Jerusalem home showed what appeared to be Jewish settlers abducting the boy. In the footage, the kidnappers can be seen forcing him into their car before speeding off.
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu condemned the Palestinian's murder as "despicable." "Israel is a nation of laws and everyone must act according to the law," he said in a statement.
Tension has mounted since three Israeli settlers who went missing in June were found dead earlier this week near the West Bank city of Hebron.
Netanyahu has blamed Hamas for their deaths, threatening to retaliate against the Gaza-based resistance faction.
In the three weeks since the settlers' initial disappearance, Israel has rounded up hundreds of West Bank Palestinians, including lawmakers, former cabinet ministers and senior Hamas members.
No Palestinian group has claimed responsibility for the settlers' disappearance or subsequent death.
Copyright © 2014 Anadolu Agency