Cairo calls fresh 3-day Gaza ceasefire
By Gomaa Moselhi, Sunday, August 10, 2014
CAIRO – Egypt on Sunday asked Israel and Palestinian factions to observe a 72-hour ceasefire starting Monday.
"This truce is aimed at facilitating the movement of humanitarian aid supplies; repairing infrastructure and resuming indirect talks between the two parties in hopes of reaching a permanent, comprehensive ceasefire," the Foreign Ministry said in a statement.
A member of the Palestinian delegation taking part in Cairo-hosted indirect talks told Anadolu Agency earlier that Egypt has already secured the two sides' endorsement for the new ceasefire.
An earlier 72-hour ceasefire, also brokered by Egypt, expired on Friday.
Palestinian factions launched several rockets at Israel as soon as the ceasefire expired, blaming Israel for failure to renew the ceasefire during the Cairo-hosted talks.
At least 11 Palestinians have been killed in resumed Israeli airstrikes since Friday.
The latest fatalities took to 1918 the number of Palestinians, mostly civilians, killed in Israeli attacks since July 7.
Israel says "Operation Protective Edge" – its deadliest offensive on the Gaza Strip in six years – aims at halting rocket attacks from Gaza.
According to Israeli figures, at least 64 soldiers were killed in battles with Palestinian fighters in the Gaza Strip and three civilians in rocket attacks.
Copyright © 2014 Anadolu Agency