Mixed notes about Israeli delegation to Cairo talks
Sunday, August 10, 2014
CAIRO – The Palestinians and the Israelis made conflicting statements on Sunday on the whereabouts of an Israeli delegation that should attend to Cairo to negotiate a durable arrangement with the Palestinians in the Gaza Strip.
The head of the Palestinian delegation to the Cairo talks, Azzam Al-Ahmad, said Egyptian authorities had informed the members of his delegation that Israel's negotiators had already arrived in Cairo to resume the talks.
"The Egyptian side had informed us that the Israeli delegation had already arrived in Cairo," al-Ahmad told Anadolu Agency.
"This means that we will resume the talks through Egyptian intermediaries," he added.
Even with this, Israel's Foreign Ministry spokesperson Amira Oron told AA that the Israeli delegation would not head to Cairo before the Palestinians demonstrate commitment to the ceasefire.
Earlier in the day, the Palestinians and the Israelis approved an Egyptian proposal for starting a 72-hour ceasefire in the Gaza Strip. The ceasefire is expected to kick off as of Monday.
Oron said Israel would not negotiate with the Palestinians, while they continue to launch attacks against it.
An earlier 72-hour ceasefire, also brokered by Egypt, expired on Friday.
Palestinian factions launched several rockets at Israel as soon as the ceasefire expired, blaming Israel for failure to renew the ceasefire during the Cairo-hosted talks.
More than 1939 Palestinians have been killed by Israeli attacks on Gaza since July 7, while more than 10,000 others injured.
Israel says "Operation Protective Edge" – its deadliest offensive on the Gaza Strip in six years – aims at halting rocket attacks from Gaza.
According to Israeli figures, at least 64 soldiers were killed in battles with Palestinian fighters in the Gaza Strip and three civilians in rocket attacks.
Copyright © 2014 Anadolu Agency