Palestinian and Israeli negotiators are currently in Cairo for indirect talks on a durable Gaza ceasefire
GAZA CITY – Palestinian resistance group Hamas on Tuesday said a decision by the foreign affairs and defense committee of the Knesset (Israel's parliament) to investigate Israel's military offensive against the blockaded Gaza Strip amounted to an official admission of defeat.
"The committee's investigation of [Israeli] war failures is an official admission of Israel's defeat by the resistance," Hamas spokesman Sami Abu Zuhri said in a statement.
According to Israeli media, the committee, which has oversight over the Israeli army, has decided to probe the "Operation Protective Edge."
Israel had initially said that the operation – one of its deadliest-ever offensives against the Gaza Strip – was aimed at halting rocket attacks from Gaza.
At least 1943 Palestinians, mostly civilians, have been killed and nearly 10,000 others injured in devastating Israeli attacks on the blockaded coastal territory since July 7.
Over the same period, thousands of homes in Gaza have been destroyed by unrelenting Israeli bombardments.
But up until a three-day, Egypt-brokered ceasefire went into effect on Monday, rockets from Gaza continued to strike cities inside Israel, including Tel Aviv.
Three Israeli civilians have been killed by Palestinian rocket fire since hostilities began last month, according to official Israeli figures.
At least 64 Israeli soldiers, meanwhile, have been killed in battles with Palestinian fighters inside the Gaza Strip.
Palestinian and Israeli negotiators are currently in Cairo for indirect talks on a durable Gaza ceasefire.
A three-day ceasefire, also brokered by Egypt, expires on Tuesday.
Copyright © 2014 Anadolu Agency