Morocco claims to bust 'terrorist' cell

RABAT (AA) – Moroccan security forces have broken up a "terrorist" cell that had been recruiting fighters for the militant Islamic State (IS) movement in Syria and Iraq, the Interior Ministry said Thursday.

In a statement, the ministry said the nine-member cell had been actively recruiting Moroccans and foreigners to fight in Syria and Iraq and raising funds for the IS.

According to the statement, cell members had planned "acts of sabotage" in Morocco, dispatching one member to IS camps to be trained how to make explosives.

Last month, Interior Minister Mohamed Hassad said that more than 1200 Moroccans were currently fighting in Syria and Iraq.

By Mohamed Bouhride

englishnews@aa.com.tr

www.aa.com.tr/en

Copyright © 2014 Anadolu Agency