Afghanistan: Suicide car bomber targets European convoy

KABUL, Afghanistan – A Taliban suicide bomber has rammed an explosive-laden car against a vehicle of a European police unit in Afghanistan`s capital Kabul on Monday, said Afghan officials.

Kabul police spokesman, Hashmat Stanikzai, said this latest suicide attack, aimed at the European Union Police, or EUPOL, convoy in the east of Kabul, had injured at least six civilians and a foreigner.

The EU Police chief in Afghanistan Pia Stjernvall, confirming the attack in a statement, said none of its staff members had been injured.

This was the second blast hitting the capital in a matter of hours after a few days of relative calm.

A magnetic bomb exploded near the gate of Kabul’s international airport on Monday morning causing no casualties.

Taliban militants have claimed responsibility for both incidents.

In addition, at least two civilians were killed and nine others, including three policemen, were injured in a suicide car bomb attack in the southern Zabul province on Sunday morning.

According to provincial police chief, Gen. Ghulam Sakhi Rogh Lewani, the suicide bomber rammed his explosive-laden car into the convoy of the deputy police chief as he was passing by in the provincial capital of Qalat.  

Lewani said the deputy police chief had not been hurt.

The NATO-led International Security Assistance Force ended its 13-year combat mission in Afghanistan at the end of 2014.

Since Jan. 1, 2015, the mission has evolved into training and advising of the nascent Afghan security forces.

The 13,000 foreign troops for this Resolute Support Mission will come from 28 NATO allies and 14 other partner nations.

Copyright © 2015 Anadolu Agency