Hezbollah targeted Israeli convoy on 'occupied' land: Lebanon

BEIRUT – Lebanon's Foreign Ministry has said that Wednesday's Hezbollah attack on an Israeli military vehicle was carried out on occupied Lebanese territory.

The ministry said in a statement that Israeli shelling of targets in southern Lebanon had come in response to Hezbollah's operation, "which targeted an Israeli military convoy in occupied Lebanese territories outside the Blue Line."

Earlier Wednesday, Hezbollah claimed responsibility for an attack on an Israeli military vehicle in the Shebaa Farms region, which, it said, had killed several Israeli troops.

The Israeli media, for its part, had reported that at least seven Israeli troops had been injured in the attack.

In response, Israeli forces shelled targets in southern Lebanon, leaving a Spanish UN peacekeeper dead.

The violence came ten days after Hezbollah accused Israel of killing six of its fighters – along with six Iranians – in a drone strike in the Syrian town of Quneitra.

The slain fighters had included two Hezbollah commanders and the son of Imad Mughniyah, a Hezbollah leader killed by a car bomb in Syria in 2008.

Until now, Israel has neither confirmed nor denied the airstrike that killed the Hezbollah men and the Iranians.

For over two years, Hezbollah has been openly engaged in the conflict in Syria, where it continues to fight alongside Syrian regime forces.

In 2006, Israel and Hezbollah fought a 34-day war in which more than 1,200 Lebanese – mostly civilians – were killed.

In the same conflict, 160 Israelis – mostly soldiers – were killed.

Copyright © 2015 Anadolu Agency