Iran seeks to open new 'terror front: Netanyahu

JERUSALEM – Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu on Wednesday accused Iran of seeking to open a new "terror" front with Israel in the Golan Heights.

Netanyahu said during an emergency meeting at the Israeli Defense Ministry that Iran was the main sponsor of the Lebanese Hezbollah movement, going on to term Iran as Israel's "enemy no. 1."

Israel occupied Syria's Golan Heights in 1967.

Earlier in the day, Hezbollah claimed responsibility for an attack on a military convoy in the Israel-occupied Shebaa Farms, one that left two Israeli troops dead and seven others wounded.

A UN peacekeeping solider – part of a Spanish unit – was also killed in Israeli shelling following the attack.

Netanyahu said the people standing behind the Hezbollah attack on the Israeli military vehicle would pay dearly for the attack.

He said Lebanon and Syria were also responsible for attacks launched against Israel from their territories.

Earlier on Wednesday, Israel was reported to have told the United Nations Security Council that it would take all measures necessary for defending itself.

Hezbollah said the Shebaa Farms attack had been in retaliation for the death of six of its fighters – along with six Iranians – in a recent drone strike in Syria.

The slain fighters had included two Hezbollah commanders and the son of Imad Mughniyah, a Hezbollah leader killed by a car bomb in Syria in 2008.

For over two years, Hezbollah has been openly engaged in the conflict in Syria, where it continues to fight alongside Syrian regime forces.

In 2006, Israel and Hezbollah fought a 34-day war in which more than 1,200 Lebanese – mostly civilians – were killed.

In the same conflict, 160 Israelis – mostly soldiers – lost their lives.

Copyright © 2015 Anadolu Agency